Game, Ms. Noelle: my musings on pro tennis

Monday, January 16, 2006

Nalbandian Denies Udomchoke

David Nalbandian toughed through his first-round match at the Australian Open; after going up two sets to love, he dropped the next two sets against Thailand's Danai Udomchoke before picking up his game to win the match in the fifth set. The score was 6-2,6-2,1-6,6-7,6-1.

When I started watching this match, I wondered why Nalbandian was grinding out the match; almost all games in the first set went to deuce although he broke Udomchoke twice to win the set. I didn't watch most of the third and fourth sets (I did some errands) but the commentators noted that Nalbandian had slightly changed his game plan in the fifth set. Udomchoke was attacking the Nalbandian forehand (the weaker of the two wings) during the two sets he won, but in the fifth set Nalbandian began hitting his returns with authority, getting a few return aces in the bag, and his down-the-line backhand began to get the better of the Thai player.

I'll put up more information on this match in a little while; I just thought the phrase had to be said: Nalbandian Denies Udomchoke.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

noelle! love ya!

9:59 AM 
Blogger Noelle De Guzman said...

oooh, thanks Danielle!

Hm, I'm trying to think of a way to segue into talking about your Vinnay website. :D

11:13 PM 

Post a Comment