Game, Ms. Noelle: my musings on pro tennis

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Martina to Make a Comeback

I'm not talking about the first Martina (Navratilova) who never left the game. I'm talking about the Martina (Hingis) who was named for her, and who left tennis in 2002 due to injury. Now, it seems that Hingis's love for the game is too strong.
From The Guardian:
"I was never happy that my injuries cut my career short and ultimately forced my decision to step away from tennis," Hingis said yesterday. "I have enjoyed my time away from the court, a period that has allowed me to experience a different side of life. However, I miss the game and the challenge of competing at the highest level of tennis, and I want to gauge whether I can stay healthy and compete against today's top players."
I for one am thrilled that Martina is going to start competing again, although I share the common fears that she may not be able to handle the pace and power in the women's game. She played one professional match in this year's WTA Thailand Open but lost in the first round to Marlene Weingartner.

The heads-up on this story came via Tennis Warehouse. I found a Tennis Week article with more information on the circumstances of Hingis's comeback via Pro Tennis Fan.

1 Comments:

Blogger fml123 said...

Hi

You are very clued up on your tennis news. It's good to hear that she's making a comeback - she's still young. When I saw the title I thought it was the older Martina (not sure that would have been such a good prospect).
Feel free to check out my blog Tennis Lessons at http://tennisteaching.blogspot.com

Cheers!
Francisco

9:37 PM 

Post a Comment