Game, Ms. Noelle: my musings on pro tennis

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Beauty and the Beast

It shouldn't surprise me that more attention was paid to appearance rather than performance in assessing the women players at the South East Asian Games. The SEA Games official website's report on the women's singles event makes me squirm in dismay, though.
Tennis Beauties Glide Way to Quarterfinals
Fil-Americans Denise Dy and Riza Angela Zalameda pulled through in their respective elimination singles matches Tuesday at the Rizal Memorial Tennis Center.

Under the sizzling heat, the beautifully tanned Dy finished off Kyi Mya Zaw of Myanmar, 6-1, 6-3 while the 19-year-old Zalameda, in her usual yellow top and hoop earrings, prevailed over Vietnam's Viet Ha Ngo, 6-1, 6-5 [sic].

"Out of all my teammates, I'm the youngest so I feel kinda nervous today, but luckily, I pulled it through," said the 16-year-old Dy, armed with her cheerful smile.

"I think I've more experience (than Viet-Ha Ngo) 'cause I've been playing for three weeks now, so I'm pretty much tough than Ha Ngo," said Zalameda.

Though dazzling in the heat, Zalameda was visibly irritated during the second set of the match, squeaking and cursing at her every mistake.

"Well, I knew there were shots that I should've executed by then, so just a little frustration," Zalameda explained.
You don't see them describing Eric Taino as "beautifully tanned" or Cecil Mamiit as "dazzling in the heat."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viva 2005 :p

Plus, neither Taino nor Mamiit are particularly good looking ;)

1:09 PM 
Blogger di said...

*kicks whoever wrote that article*

Jeez, the whole thing is full of corny adjectives.

4:57 PM 
Blogger Noelle De Guzman said...

Hey, have you ever seen a final score of 6-1,6-5 before? :o This article has. :p

The author of it writes a lot of the news content for the SEA Games official website, but I seriously doubt she's a regular journalist.

10:22 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The person who wrote that is female? I guess she needs a good dose of American feminism to fix her up for good.

Or maybe she's lesbian, and has a refined cultivation for feminine beauty? LOL.

7:02 AM 
Blogger Noelle De Guzman said...

I don't think the quality of her writing has anything to do with the author's sexuality. I do think that the author doesn't really know much about tennis and thus paid more attention to the looks of Zalameda and Dy.

12:52 PM 

Post a Comment