Game, Ms. Noelle: my musings on pro tennis

Saturday, July 23, 2005

"Rocket Man" Crashes out of Indianapolis

I was actually considering a news blackout of this certain event so I could pretend in my own small world that it didn't happen. Andy "Rocket Man" Roddick failed to get past the quarterfinal stage in his RCA Championships three-peat bid, crashing against Robby Ginepri 4-6,7-6(2),7-5. This marks the first time Ginepri has scored a win against Roddick in their career meetings.

Roddick had this to say about the match:
"'He wanted it more than I did,' Roddick said. 'He is hitting the ball better than I am right now. I didn't come here ready to play.'"
Now, shouldn't someone kick Roddick in the head for making that statement? In order to stay competitive with the rest of the Top 5 ATP players, shouldn't he want to win even more than his opponent does? Shouldn't he come out to tournaments always ready to play?

Some people have said he hasn't yet recovered mentally from losing Wimbledon yet again. If he's in a funk right now, he's gotta shake it off soon.

It's early in the hard court season to tell, but I have a bad feeling that this does not bode well for the rest of Roddick's summer. He's also withdrawn from the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles scheduled for next week, citing a sore right knee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment