Game, Ms. Noelle: my musings on pro tennis

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Playing with Heart (and Crowd Support)

Reading some reports of last night's exploits at the Paris Masters, I was surprised that not much was written about the first round match between Arnaud Clement and Nicolas Kiefer. I watched that match over Star Sports, and it was one of the better ones I'd seen in a while. With neither player having a single dominant shot like a big serve or a ballistic forehand, the rallies were long and the points played out with strategy rather than mere brute force.

Prior to the match Kiefer led their head-to-head 5-1, winning the last four times they played. However as I watched them warm up against each other, I had a feeling Clement would have his day.

Arnaud Clement celebrates his win (credit: Getty Images/Clive BrunskillThe 74th-ranked Frenchman Clement broke Kiefer's serve early in the first set, but then gave the break back. Then Arnaud broke Nicolas again. Clement closed the set out on his own serve 6-4. The second set told a dissimilar story. Clement lost steam and serve, and Kiefer was able to clinch it 6-1. The third set went into a tiebreaker, neither player willing to give in. They traded minibreaks but it was Clement who held the first match point at 6-5, on his own serve. He took his time, trying to calm himself and capitalize on it, but Kiefer gained the point anyway. 6-all. They switched sides, and still on his serve Clement claimed the next point with an ace. 7-6, and another match point for him--this time on Kiefer's serve. Both players started moving each other around on the court, but Kiefer's lob sailed over the baseline. 6-4,1-6,7-6(6) Clement.

Clement roars in victory (credit: Getty Images/Francois GuillotHaving a negative win-loss record this year, Clement played like he had nothing to lose. He went after shots that other players would have let go by; every point mattered. The shotmaking he pulled off in this match kept the largely French crowd squarely on his side, and their reaction to his win was thunderous. Clement's was no less emotional.

***

WATCHING RODDICK: For Andy Roddick fans tired of the flak the player receives, some spunky relief can be had by heading over to Roddick Watch. The site offers news links and updates on "America's favorite tennis brat."

4 Comments:

Blogger Noelle De Guzman said...

Yep, I based the design off a Blogger template, but everything else is mine.

I'll be coming out with a section on tennis blogs specifically for certain players. :) I'll permalink you there.

Oh yeah... GO ANDY!

9:10 AM 
Blogger J. said...

Love your site. Keep up the good work. I checked out Roddick Watch link. Amusing and informative...

Game, Set, Match!

12:42 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A ballistic forehand" -> lol ! I like this expression !

Hey ! I saw this match live ! I left my workplace and arrived just on time to attend the last games, and the decisive tie breaker. Trust me : the atmosphere was really incredible !! People were pushing Arnaud, who tried to take his revenge on Nicolas Kiefer, and were roaring when I won a point. Souvenir, souvenir ...

8:58 PM 
Blogger Noelle De Guzman said...

Wow. I mean, the match was electric over the television. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like courtside. :)

12:17 AM 

Post a Comment